The biggest benefit to LED lights is saving money and energy. they are great for reducing light pollution and illuminating the streets for people to feel saferas well.
It is estimated that widespread use of LED lighting has the greatest potential impact on energy savings in the United States. By 2027, widespread use of LEDs could save about 348 TWh (compared to no LED use) of electricity. This is the equivalent annual electrical output of 44 large electric power plants, and a total savings of about $30 billion around today's prices. They also last around 14 years decreasing metience and further reducing their overall costs.
LED lights also brighten the area quite a bit. During the 2008/2009 trial of LED lights in Lansing citizens reported feeling much safer in the areas around the new LED lights.
SMART METER GRID
Future benefits of smart meters will increase BWL’s operational efficiency and reliability, enable the BWL to improve customer service and enable the customer to manage their own energy usage. Many of the benefits you can see in the image above.
- Citizen access to usage data remotely
- Access to energy management tools
- Saving money by controlling usage
- Faster outage restoration
- Reduced estimated bills
These meters will also be a huge help to the environment in many ways such as:
- Pollution, fuel consumption, and traffic through meter readers not needing to read every meter each month.
- Let us use new technologies that will allow you to make decisions about using less energy, at your discretion, which can reduce the amount of electricity demand.
- The water meters will also help reduce waste through water leak detection.